A man has been arrested on suspicion of numerous offences following a serious crash between a bus and a van that closed a busy road for more than five hours.

Emergency services responded following a head-on collision in Lowestoft that led to two people being taken to hospital, and a number of passengers being assessed at the scene after a First bus and a flatbed van were involved in the crash.

Police, three fire crews, the East Anglian Air Ambulance, three ambulances, a rapid response vehicle and two ambulance officer vehicles were called to the A47 in Lowestoft - not far away from Sparrows Nest Gardens and the High Street - about 2.45pm on Saturday.

Firefighters from North Lowestoft and two crews from Lowestoft South fire station were called out following the road traffic collision near to the High Street.

With one person "requiring extrication" after the crash, the bus driver was freed from his vehicle and taken to hospital where he remains as fire crews left the scene at 4.27pm.

The road however remained closed until "just after 8pm" as investigations were carried out - with the bus and a flatbed van significantly damaged.

An East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust spokesman said: "Eleven patients were assessed, and two patients with minor injuries were treated at the scene, and at least one patient later made their own way to A&E.

"Two patients were transported by road ambulance to James Paget University Hospital for further assessment and care."

Piers Marlow, managing director of First East of England, said: "I can confirm that one of our vehicles was involved in an incident in Lowestoft on Saturday.

"Emergency services attended the scene and the bus driver was taken by ambulance to hospital where he remains.

"We are co-operating fully with police investigations into the incident.

"Our thoughts are with anyone involved in the accident and we are supporting our colleague in his recovery."

A police spokesman said: "The bus driver was taken to James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston with the road closed until just after 8pm.

"A 52 year-old man was arrested on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice, multiple motoring offences and other outstanding offences.

"He has been bailed until January 22 while the investigation continues."

With witnesses and dashcam footage sought, information should be directed to Suffolk Police on 101 quoting crime reference number 37/62986/23.