Lowestoft retained their perfect home record with a narrow odd goal of three Isthmian League North Division victory over Suffolk rivals Stowmarket Town.

Lowestoft had the edge for most of the game but without really looking comfortable and had several anxious moments after Stowmarket reduced the arrears as the game moved into eight added on minutes.

After Stowmarket had forced two early corners that came to nothing Lowestoft started to move forward with Sam Johnson shooting from 18 yards but straight into the arms of the grateful James Askew.

Adam Hipperson was next to go close but after cutting in from the left he could only find the side netting.

A delightful chip from Rob Eagle sent Jake Reed clear but Askew was alert to push his shot around the post.

A goal duly arrived in the 27th minute. Hipperson was again the provider moving in from the left before finding Reed who made space for himself before placing the ball just inside the far post.

Just 2 minutes later it was almost 2-0 as Hipperson’s rising drive was pushed onto the bar by Askew.

A corner by Scott Sloots saw a header clawed off the line by the diving Luke Holt and when Sloots returned the ball into the middle it fell at the feet of James Ladbrook but the big defender never made proper contact and Holt was able to block again before Dylan Ruffles cleared the danger.

Reed sent a shot against the upright with Harvey Sayer blazing the rebound high over the top before the half ended with Owen Murphy curling one just too high from 20 yards.

The second half continued as a cagey affair.

Reed saw another goalbound effort pushed away by the impressive Askew who then denied Sayer in the same way.

Lowestoft Journal: Jake Reed scores his second goal versus Stowmarket. Picture: Shirley D WhitlowJake Reed scores his second goal versus Stowmarket. Picture: Shirley D Whitlow (Image: Shirley D Whitlow)

A second goal came in the 80th minute as hesitation at the edge of the area saw Reed nip the ball off Ladbrook to go round Askew and roll into the empty net.

With the clock reaching 90 minutes a thunderous rising drive from Joseph Yaxley screamed into the roof of the net for a consolation goal for the visitors.